Monday, July 20, 2009

It was a cozy weekend

Yes, I stayed in and had a cozy weekend. I read 2 cozies that are from series' that I anxiously await their newest books to come out. First was Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof by Blaize Clement, number 4 in the Dixie Hemingway pet-sitter series. I have loved these books from the first and she is keeping the plots fresh. Ex-deputy Dixie has her hands full taking care of a seizure-assistance dog while it's young charge undergoes surgery. The dog is visibly distraught for not being able to accompany the boy and Dixie tries various methods to help. In turn, she meets up with the next door neighbor, who proves to be a contradiction in all ways and turns up dead. The list of culprits is many and I didn't figure it out till almost the end. And like many cozies, I liked the light mystery and my little tidbit of info I got from this one, as I tend to glean from each novel I read, was about the Havana Brown cat. Now I want one. I will keep Blaize on my list and her website is http://www.blaizeclement.com/.
Second cozy again was from one of my favorites series to read. Dropped Dead Stitch by Maggie Sefton, the 7th in the series. This one is a knitting mystery, which I have many I follow. I was fairly happy with the story, but there were good points and bad points. This one had our hero, Kelly Flynn - a CPA accountant displaced to Colorado, helping out with a canyon retreat for abused women. Helping her teach a class was a close friend, who had just been raped herself but had not persued it with the police. The owner of the ranch they are at, shockingly ends up being the friends rapist and becomes the victim of a plunge of a long drop over the side of the mountain. I felt there could have been a little more meat to the story. The whodunit was a little predictable. However I will admit the last chapter was a hoot and I was rolling. I will keep up with the series as there are more romantics issues to be resolved. And to keep me addicted to knitting and fiber fever. http://www.maggiesefton.com/

3 comments:

  1. Both sound like a good one. "The Diary" by Eileen Goudge is another book that I'd love to read! :)

    ReplyDelete